Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mike & Ikes*

I have a new model I would like to introduce you all to. My lifelong, best friend Jill gave him to me for my birthday this year. Meet Mr. Chicken...

He is sporting the latest skeins in a 50/50 blue Merino/Silk blend which is complemented by the brown Baby Llama. Both hanks were spindle spun and finished as a 2-ply. Though Mr. Chicken and I are at odds as to what this should be knitted in to, I am thinking it will be a bag of some sort. I have about 1/2 pound of each fiber to spin so I have plenty of time to decide.

Mr. Chicken will be making a lot of appearances on the blog. I'm rather fond of the evil look he has in his eyes and it's fun to dress him up in wool.

Another small spinning project I recently completed was some Romney that was gifted to me from my friend Madame Purl. It is the lighter skein on the bottom.

(Click for bigger)
I had never spun Romney before and I loved spinning it. It was very easy to spin and bloomed beautifully after its soaking. I ended up with 100 yards of 2-ply and when I started thinking about what I would knit with it I remembered the Estonian Hand Puppets from the Summer 2006 issue of Spin-Off. A few days later while in my LYS, (they also sell a small selection of fibers), I saw a fiber that complimented the Romney perfectly, very fine grey Shetland (darker shade on top). Both of these were a joy to spin and I love the final yarn it produced. I do believe I see a couple of fleeces in my future.
Now for some knitting content.
There are many completed projects to blog about but it's late so just this one for tonight. My project notes have been spotty, at best, so I'll give you the specs that I can remember.

Pattern:
Simply Lovely Lace Socks
Interweave Spring 2006
Yarn:
Regia Plus Cotton
Because this cotton is so fine I didn't have a problem with it hurting my hands and I really enjoyed this pattern, easy to memorize.

*Mike & Ikes have nothing to do with this post other than I have been eating them and can not think of a title for this post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Purl said...

Cool, very cool... Your spinning is great!!!

12:19 AM  
Blogger gail said...

your spinning and your socks are great. I knit constantly, but have not started to spin. I'm afraid that spinning would take away from my knitting time!! I know that buying a spinning wheel will not add hours to the day, alas! I live not far from you in Wisconsin and, sad to say, we missed the brunt of the storm that recently gave you a foot of snow. We are envious!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home