Thursday, January 26, 2006

No Orchid Injuries Occured While Shooting the Sock

Well my user info and password still work so I guess I haven't been kicked out of the blog community, yet. The past month has been a rough one. It took longer to get feeling better than I expected and there has been so much to catch up on around the homefront that it left little time for anything else.

Of course I did find time to knit. I started and finished a pair of socks, started 2 other pairs and have done some spinning. I've been contemplating joining the knitting olympics but have yet to commit. As much as I would like to challenge myself and succeed I'm not sure if I really want to stress my knitting, if you know what I mean. There is also the fear of not finishing on time and since it ends on my birthday, should I not finish, I don't want to be dissapointed in myself on that day.

When the Jaywalker socks first came out I thought "they're cute" but didn't have a burning desire to knit them. I find that many of the projects others are knitting take a while for me to get excited about. With the Jaywalker's I got really excited after seeing
Amelia's pair. The picot edge just put me, well, over the edge. And then I started seeing the pink ones, I was hooked. I found a yarn that I think will be perfect at my friend Rose's etsy site and when we meet up to knit next week she is bringing me some. In the meantime, I went to the LYS and bought some Opal in Flamingo. This pair will probably be for my stepmother. As everyone else has stated, these are fun to knit! Great pattern Grumperina!

The pair of socks below I started and finished are for my father. I started them for myself and my niece commented that she really liked them so I continued knitting them with her in mind. About 1/2 way through the second sock the socks started screaming talking to me.

Sock: You haven't knit a pair of socks for Dad yet.
Me: Yeah, so.
Sock: This is a manly colorway.
Me: Yeah, so.
Sock: Dad's getting up there in years, I bet his feet get really cold.
Me: Yeah, so.
Sock: I bet Dad would LOVE these socks.
Me: Silence.
Sock: He's such the sentimental guy, he would probably cry. He would be thinking, who knits socks when you can go buy a pair for .25 cents (ok, that price was an exaggeration)? I can't believe she actually knitted me a pair of socks.
Me: OH ALRIGHT, ENOUGH ALREADY, YOU ARE RIGHT!

So they socks are now going to Dad and my neice will get a different pair.

Sock specs:
Pattern: just a k3, p2 rib based loosely on the basic sock pattern from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book.
Yarn: Steinbach Wolle
Colorway: Who knows, I can't read the label :D These are the numbers listed - Partie 95144 Farbe 001
Needle: Bamboo size 3 (thicker yarn and I am a tight knitter)

I wear a size 8 shoe and these socks are loose and a little long on me. I think my dad wears a size 8 shoe so I think they will be a good fit, snug but not tight.

That's my 3-year old puppy on the left, Thor. He's stylin' today, spent yesterday at the groomers so he looks better now than in the picture.

The other pair of socks I am working on (but set aside for now as I am completely Jaywalker crazy) is the Cascading Leaves socks. I'm using Lanett sock yarn and loving it! I'm planning a trip to
The Fold in a couple of weeks and plan on stocking up on more of it.

As stated in the title, no harm has come to the orchid while shooting the photo. It's silk.

I have other things to post about but I will leave it for the next post.














One more pic, just for the heck of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home